– Like working as part of a team?
– Want flexibility with your work schedule?
– Support the LGBTQ community in Colorado?
– Manage multiple projects, programs, and priorities at once?
– Enjoy reading and developing policy positions and legislative initiatives?
– Love working with diverse stakeholders in developing coalitions?
– Take your work seriously but not yourself?
One Colorado, the state’s leading advocacy organization for LGBTQ Coloradans and their families, is accepting applications for our Policy Director. This is an existing role that will have ownership of our Youth and Schools program and our LGBTQ Health program, drive our policy and state agencies work, collaborate with the Deputy Director on our legislative agenda, and coordinate with the organizing and communications teams.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Daniel Ramos, Executive Director, at email@example.com and include “Policy Director” in the subject line. Please use your cover letter to communicate why you are excited to work at One Colorado and highlight any experience you have working in policy or legislative roles, LGBTQ health, youth and schools, and managing staff and vendors. Priority will be given to applications received by Wednesday, September 25th, but applications will be accepted until position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
While these are not requirements for applicants, these are the nice-to-have things that would help fill out our current team. So, if you possess any of these skills or experience, be sure to highlight them in your cover letter as well.
Legal or law background
Grant reporting experience
Experience working with state or federal administrations
Experience working with the Colorado General Assembly or the United States Congress
Experience managing research projects, including creating publications, reports, and policy briefs
Master’s Degree in public affairs, public policy, public management, or a related field
POSITION TITLE: Policy Director
REPORTING TO: Deputy Director
MANAGES: Youth and Schools Coordinator
LOCATION: Our office is located at 1490 N Lafayette, Suite 304, Denver, CO 80218.
STARTING DATE: October 21st is the earliest the first day would be. However, we are committed to finding the right person to join our team, and will extend the start date if necessary.
COMPENSATION: Salary range is low-mid 60s with a full benefits package with medical, dental, retirement plan with partial employer match, generous time-off benefits, and cell phone reimbursement.
The One Colorado Policy Director will:
Health Equity Advocacy (40%)
- Identify and develop strategies, using research, polling, and policies, to improve health outcomes for LGBTQ Coloradans
- Coordinate with One Colorado staff and lobbying team to develop and implement legislative and administrative strategies to advance LGBTQ equality
- Coordinate and monitor strategy, resources, and information with national organizations, statewide organizations, and government agencies on issues impacting LGBTQ Coloradans
- Present or distribute research and resources to staff, boards and members of healthcare organizations, stakeholder and public health organizations, policymakers, and national partners on topics related to LGBTQ health and laws and policies protecting LGBTQ people
State Agencies and Onboard (30%)
- Identify opportunities to train and partner with government agencies to expand data collection and/or improve policies and best practices to improve outcomes for LGBTQ Coloradans
- Participate in stakeholder and rulemaking processes convened by administrative agencies
- Coordinate with the Governor’s Office to identify strategic opportunities to recruit LGBTQ people and allies to serve on state boards and commissions
Community Engagement and Training (25%)
- Develop and disseminate policy briefs, resources, modules, and other materials on the needs and experiences of LGBTQ Coloradans;
- Identify and engage supporters willing to speak out in favor of LGBTQ issues in areas of healthcare, employment, business, etc. to organizations, community leaders, and policymakers
- Identify, record, and catalogue stories from the LGBTQ community related to harassment and discrimination
- Engage and manage coalitions, including the LGBTQ Health Steering Committee, to monitor and assist in the implementation of the Organization’s policy objectives
- Represent One Colorado at coalitions, events, and meetings as a statewide organization
Program Management and Administration (5%)
- Supervise the Youth Program Coordinator and programmatic interns
- Oversee administrative functions of the Safe Schools & Youth and LGBTQ Health programs
The One Colorado Policy Director must also be self-motivated and outgoing, with strong verbal and writing skills. They must be able to keep composure in a stressful environment and possess the ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects and meet deadlines under pressure. They must have a desire to learn on the job and meet any challenge with a positive attitude with the ability to hold themselves and others accountable for reaching goals. Finally, they must be committed to advancing the rights and protections for LGBTQ Coloradans and their families.
Applicants must have reliable transportation, with the expectation of in-state travel 5-10 days a month.
One Colorado Education Fund is an aggressive advocate of inclusivity and welcomes applications from all, particularly from people of color, women, LGBTQ people, immigrants or refugees, people with disabilities, veterans, and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds.
One Colorado Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, political party affiliation, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law.