Founded in 1994 by software entrepreneur Tim Gill, the Gill Foundation is one of the nation’s largest funders of efforts to secure full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
The foundation seeks an enterprising, mission-focused, and digital-savvy Communications Manager to develop and execute communications strategies that achieve measurable results for both the foundation and grantees. The Communications Manager leads internal and external communications, supports the programs team and senior leadership with research and writing, and assists the donor resources team with stakeholder communications and event programming. This position serves as the voice of the foundation, crafting content for our online properties, informing partners of key developments, drafting remarks for foundation leadership, and developing our annual report and other collateral. With a creative eye, impeccable writing skills, and flawless attention to detail, the Communications Manager is responsible for communicating the vision and impact of the foundation. This position reports to the Senior Communications Officer.
The ideal candidate will embody the following traits:
· Embraces and contributes to a work culture driven by mission, creativity, risk-taking, and results.
· Turns ideas into action and drives the team to decision points, evaluating and iterating on strategy and content until the desired outcome is achieved.
· Acquires and maintains high-level subject matter expertise on both LGBTQ issues and communications best practices.
· Thrives in a team-centered environment, setting high expectations for yourself and your colleagues, sharing responsibility in both successes and failures.
· Exercises independent judgment and initiative to ensure information flows quickly and effectively, deadlines are met, and actions receive rigorous and honest evaluation.
External Communications – 45%
· Lead development of an owned content strategy across mediums and platforms, positioning the foundation as a leader in the philanthropic and LGBTQ communities, building awareness of the foundation’s strategy and impact, and amplifying the accomplishments of our grantees.
· Implement the foundation’s content strategy and visual branding, including:
o Maintaining and updating the Gill Foundation website to communicate our priorities, spotlight grantees, and show the impact of our grant-making.
o Creating an editorial calendar for the foundation’s Perspectives page, providing drafting and editing support, and promoting posts through social.
o Managing the foundation’s social media properties, crafting and tailoring content to each platform, and supporting the thought leadership of the CEO.
o Curating and sharing archival materials around anniversaries of key milestones.
o Designing and developing the annual report, holiday card, and other special projects.
· Vet media inquiries, event invitations, and other external requests; and assist with research and written remarks for interviews, awards, and presentations.
· Manage relationships with vendors, including website partners, designers, photographers, etc.
Internal Communications and Reporting – 35%
· Monitor and track media coverage and social media activity related to the foundation’s investment portfolios, providing relevant and frequent reports to program officers.
· Help draft and edit reports to the board, including monthly updates and board meeting presentations and materials.
· Assist with drafting and editing internal announcements, updates to the employee handbook, and other written communications as needed.
· Ensure brand consistency across foundation collateral and staff communications.
· Maintain the foundation’s style guide and communications manual, updating as needed.
· Catalogue media coverage, interviews, awards, images, and video.
Stakeholder Engagement – 20%
· Inform key stakeholders, including grantees and donors, of our current priorities, accomplishments, and lessons learned.
· Support the execution of OutGiving event communications, including but not limited to invitations, videos, emails, reports, and materials.
· Develop an annual impact report to update OutGiving donors on the results of their investments and relay key developments and upcoming opportunities.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher, and at least five years of experience in communications.
Experience managing an owned content strategy across organizational properties, including website, social media, marketing collateral, and e-mail campaigns.
· Demonstrated excellence in project management involving internal and external stakeholders, vendors, and consultants; ability to hold the team to task and manage up and down accordingly.
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and an eagerness to write often.
Experience with growing and engaging digital audiences through owned and paid channels, developing timely and engaging content, and tracking and analyzing social and digital analytics.
Strong organization and time-management skills, including the ability to manage short- and long-term projects and prioritize responsibilities based on urgency and importance.
· Ability to meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a team-oriented environment.
· Knowledge of the LGBTQ movement preferred.
The Gill Foundation offers competitive compensation packages including salary and health, retirement, and vacation benefits. Annual salary range for this position is $65k to $80k, depending on experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Gill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The foundation’s policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, height, weight, military status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This position is based in our dog-friendly office in Denver, CO. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Please, no phone calls.