Colorado Senate Dems
The Colorado Senate Democrats are seeking a Communications Director. The Communications Director works with the President of the Senate, Senate leadership, and the entire caucus to amplify the success of the Senate Democrats at the Capitol.
The Communications Director fulfills a high-volume role with the Senate Majority. They are responsible for driving the message and elevating the work of Colorado Senate Democrats among the state and national press corps and communities across Colorado. This is a full-time position part of the staff leadership team, reporting to the chief of staff and deputy chief of staff.
- Help Caucus develop an overall communications and messaging strategy for the caucus in consultation with caucus leadership, chief and deputy chief
- Provide strategic communications advice to individual members and assist with crisis management
- Conduct media trainings and prepare members for interviews
- Develop media campaigns for priority legislation in consultation with chief and deputy chief
- Be conversant with caucus priority legislation and policy positions
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and point of contact for media
- Develop relationships with editors, reporters, producers, etc.
- Pitch TV, radio and print outlets on legislative work
- Write releases, advisories, opinion pieces, statements, talking points and speeches, and assist with content for newsletters
- Organize and execute press events such as press avails, press conferences, and rallies
- Oversee in consultation with chief and deputy chief the development of caucus social media strategy and program
- Review and submit for approval to chief and deputy, graphic, video, and written content for social channels
- Manage communications staff, interns, and outreach efforts
- Oversee all external and internal communication functions
- Facilitate information flow to individual member offices and staff
- Publish website pages and blog posts (WordPress platform)
- At least 3 years of experience working for political organizations, campaigns, government or media
- Proven successful record working with and pitching press
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with an ability to write and produce content on a wide variety of issues and platforms
- Exceptional “people skills” with an ability to work effectively with a variety of people and organizations
- Unapologetic political news enthusiast with the ability to think critically and strategically; Ability to proactively seize on opportunities to move our message forward; Adept at anticipating obstacles and can play effective defense when needed
- Self-starter who shows strong initiative and sets high standards for individual and team performance
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills; a proven ability to effectively and independently manage projects with many moving parts to produce high-quality results on tight deadlines
- Strong political sense and discretion
- Strong understanding of the Colorado political landscape
- Sufficient fluency in spoken and written Spanish
- At least 1-2 years of experience supervising staff.
To apply for this position, send a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position to James Lucero at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Communications Director Application” in the subject field of your email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with preference to those who submit before October 25. Compensation is commensurate with experience and within the range of $58K-$68K.
***Equal Opportunity: We welcome applicants from all walks of life, and strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ, immigrant, refugee, people with disabilities, and other communities to apply.***